No Fun Allowed
Note: My name is Toilet Drake and I help Toast with the site. I wanted to share my journey to Legend this month! Hope you enjoy!
Warning: If you are salty about Zoo Warlocks and Druids, you may enjoy this post. If you are a Zoo Warlock/Druid player, you may be triggered. Turn back now!
The Boomsday Project was released on August 7th, 2018. Like everyone, I was eager to try all the new cards, trying out new synergies and combos. I was ready to have fun.
Mecha'thun was a fun card to try with Quest Priest - which I hit Legend with back in May. I was having a grand time until about rank 3. Then the Zoo Warlocks and Malygos Druids started appearing - thanks to cancerous sites with post like this, advertising popular decks from top players and streamers.
Without the dragon package, aggro was tough to deal with. Druids were also better at thinning their decks so my priest deck was failing against the two most prevalent (at the time) decks on the ladder.
If they won't let me have my fun. They are not going to either.
I am going to burn their Malygos, defile their Happy Ghoul, demonize their King Togwaggle, and I'm going to hit Legend while doing it.
All About the Tech
I am, at most, a B Level player. I am not claiming to be a great player or that Control Warlocks will chew through Zoos and Druids. I just want them to feel the same despair I feel when they crush me with their 30+ damage OTK or flood the board with 14/11 in stats by turn 3.
I came across this list from Klei. I removed Possessed Lackey and put in Giggling Inventor. This is the deck list that I hit Legend with.
42Lesser Amethyst Spellstone
51Skull of the Man'ari
61Rin, the First Disciple
This deck aims to do the following:
- Disrupt combo decks like Malygos Druid, Mecha'thuns and Shudderwocks through Gnomeferatu, Skulking Geist, Demonic Project and Gluttonous Ooze.
- Have a fighting chance against Zoo Warlocks with Defile, Doomsayer, Sacrificial Pact and Giggling Inventor.
The usefulness of Sacrificial Pact can not understated. I have:
- Sac'd my own Voidlord to play around silence, creating 3 taunters instead 1, healed myself out of lethal and allow my Bloodreaver Gul'dan to have targets ready (assuming on curve and without having to wait for my Voidlord to die).
- Sac'd their Doomguard, Hooked Reaver and yes, even Lord Jaraxxus.
- Demonic Project basically made Sacrificial Pact never a dead card in any games. That's why there are two of each in my deck list.
Results and Thoughts
From beginning to end, I ended up with a 60% win rate over ~80 games (this includes the massive streak loss against a sudden meta shift to Even Warlocks). My last boss was a Deathrattle rogue where my Gnomeferatu caught a Necrium Blade, Demonic Project caught a Carnivorous Cube, Gluttonous Ooze broke his second Necrium Blade and my Skulking Geist took out his Cold Bloods.
Zoo Warlocks and Druids were easy wins. Any combo decks were extremely unfavored against us. However, Malygos Druid is still capable of beating us despite removing their Malygos, Flobbidinous Floop, Alexstrasza and hitting all their Lesser Jasper Spellstone and Naturalize with Skulking Geist. It has happened to me before. Do not celebrate just because you milled their combo pieces, Malygos Druid does not need Malygos to win! (However, you can start doing your victory dance when you catch Mecha'thun, Azalina Soulthief and Shudderwock.
I reached rank 1 three stars before the meta shifted to Even Warlocks. Even Warlocks everywhere. I then took seven straight losses against Warlocks in seven consecutive matches. Even Warlocks can push out bigger threats faster than Control Warlocks to deal with. You need a lot of practice to stand a fighting chance:
- Timing of Doomsayer. They have the coin and tapped through first and second turn? Slam Doomsayer down on your turn 3 and get them to throw a card away.
- Timing of Rin, the First Disciple. View this as value/card generator. You will never get the effect off (burn his deck) in time before dying to his army of Mountain Giant, Twilight Drake and Hooked Reavers.
- Do not over tap. Most games will go into fatigue.
- Always make sure you have an answer ready for his The Lich King and a way to clear his Bloodreaver Gul'dan.
You could play Even Warlock to have the same effect of hunting down Druids but you will have a harder time against Zoo Warlocks, aggro decks and, especially, Odd/Tempo Rogues.
Here I share some of my typical catches throughout my climb to Legend.
Videos and Streams
In all seriousness, hope you enjoy my little post on hitting Legend with Control Warlock. If you are looking for videos of some of the game play, you can find them here.
I'll be trying to see how high the Legend ladder I can go with this deck. If you're interested in following along, you can check out my stream here! If you have any questions about this deck, you can message me on Twitter.
As usual, find all the latest top deck lists from top players and streamers here on disguisedtoast.com!
Save up to 50% off your packs!
Learn how to save money and get more packs when buying Hearthstone packs with Amazon Coins.