This deck's goal is to stall the early game and then use a mix of strong removal options and efficient AOE to get to the late game where the larger threats can take over.
Everything in this deck is about stalling until you can push out Voidlords into Bloodreaver Gul'dan. Against aggro or midrange you either get the large taunts from Possessed Lackey or you make it to turn nine. Against control, you use Rin, the First Disciple to close games.
- Type: Control
- Class: Warlock
- Updated: Witchwood Expansion
Note: This guide is updated regularly. It will continue to expand and iterate as the season goes on.
Latest Deck Lists
For the latest deck lists from top players and streamers, visit the decklists section here.
Standard Deck List
42Lesser Amethyst Spellstone
61Rin, the First Disciple
21Acidic Swamp Ooze
Acidic Swamp Ooze
Rin, the First Disciple
Note: There may be variations between decklists but the mulligan concept remains the same.
Strategy and Tips
- Do your best to set up Defile and Lord Godfrey. Both cards are incredibly strong in their own right, and they both help you conserve your bigger clear spells.
- If you ever expect your opponent to have burst you should try and get healing anyway you can.
- Play around silence. Always plan on your opponent being able to get through one Voidlord, and try to only play Possessed Lackey and Rin, the First Disciple with [cardDark Pact[/card].
- Be careful with your health and do your best not to tap too far down.
- Setting up Doomsayer on an empty or weak board can be a great way to stall the game until you can get to a taunt.
- Though it can be easy to go big with Stonehill Defender, it is often best to take an on-curve minion.
- Play Bloodreaver Gul'dan as soon as possible. Even only bringing back one Voidlord is more than enough to win the game.
- Take the game slow and try your best to set up the biggest Bloodreaver Gul'dan possible.
- Always take the largest threats you can with Stonehill Defender.
- Race to Rin, the First Disciple. However, make sure you can kill her off immediately with Dark Pact to avoid any answers.
- Do not be afraid to Twisting Nether one or two big threats. The less pressure, the better.
Key Card Choices
- Dark Pact: Important for both healing and killing Possessed Lackey/Rin, the Disciple.
- Defile: A great, cheap AOE spell that helps you save your bigger clears for larger boards.
- Stonehill Defender: A great way to stay alive early that also gives you more protection. Also allows you double up on Voidlords and Rin, the First Disciple.
- Doomsayer: An important card that helps you both stop early pushes against aggro and get control against midrange/control.
- Possessed Lackey: Works with Dark Pact/AOE to pull Voidlords out of your deck.
- Rin, the First Disciple: Your finisher against control and the way you win slow games.
- Voidlord: Sticky body that grinds out games. Also can be pulled out on turn six or seven.
- Bloodreaver Gul'dan: Your finisher against aggro. The main way to grind your opponent down.
Save up to 50% off your packs!
Learn how to save money and get more packs when buying Hearthstone packs with Amazon Coins.