The ultimate control deck with a total of 8 ways to clear the board! And when the opponent finally runs out of gas, Control Mage follows it up with the Dragoncaller Alanna and Frost Lich Jaina finisher!
- Type: Control
- Class: Mage
- Updated: Witchwood Expansion
Note: This guide is updated regularly. It will continue to expand and iterate as the season goes on.
Latest Deck Lists
For the latest Control Mage deck lists from top players and streamers, visit the decklists section here.
Acolyte of Pain
|Frost Lich Jaina
Note: There may be variations between decklists but the mulligan concept remains the same.
Strategy and Tips
- The goal is to stay alive until the late game where your big spells will shine
- Use math skills to calculate trades once you have Frost Lich Jaina's hero power to create an endless supply of Water Elementals
- You won't be doing much early game against other control decks and that is normal
- When you have cast enough big spells and ready to turn the tide, slam down that Dragoncaller Alanna
- Be aware of how many spells you have left in your deck for Dragon's Fury
- If you have played Frost Lich Jaina already, you can get massive life gain from playing Baron Geddon, whose AOE damage heals you
- Arcane Keysmith will provide you with flexibility and options outside the deck
- Like all control decks, the goal is to survive until late game
- With so much AOE spells at your disposal, you can consistently clear their board even if they refuel
- Your heals will come from Arcane Artificer and Frost Lich Jaina
- You will be the control against other control and midrange decks
- Keep your hand full and just focus on answering threats
- Games will usually go into fatigue so think twice before using cards like Raven Familiar
- Against Warlocks, save your Polymorph for demons and Rin, the First Disciple
- Focus on value when picking a secret from Arcane Keysmith - a good example is Frozen Clone
- Your main win condition is Frost Lich Jaina and Dragoncaller Alanna
Key Card Choices
- Frost Lich Jaina: The key card in your deck. It is how you win late games and how to get life back up
- Polymorph: Great for dealing with recursive thread. Polying cards like Doomguard and Hadronox means they won't be coming back
- Dragon's Fury: Cheapest AOE that is just as effective as Flamestrike if not better (but will be useless if there are no more spells left in your deck)
- Dragoncaller Alanna: The great tempo and board filler. Highly effective against decks with no AOE such as Druids and Hunters
- Voodoo Doll: Essentially a five mana cost removal, when paired with your hero power
Save up to 50% off your packs!
Learn how to save money and get more packs when buying Hearthstone packs with Amazon Coins.