- Type: Midrange
- Class: Mage
- Updated: Witchwood Expansion
Tempo Mage relies on cheap minions and spells to control the board and maintain control. Mana Wyrm is a turn 1 threat that can snowball if not removed, while Sorcerer's Apprentice allow casting spells one turn earlier or squeezing more spells in a turn - both leading to improved tempo. Cheating out secrets (like Counterspell and Explosive Runes with Kirin Tor Mage) is another signature play of the Tempo Mage.
Note: This guide is updated regularly. It will continue to expand and iterate as the season goes on.
Latest Deck Lists
For the latest deck lists from top players and streamers, visit the decklists section here.
Standard Deck List
12Breath of Sindragosa
32Kirin Tor Mage
Kirin Tor Mage
Note: There may be variations between decklists but the mulligan concept remains the same.
Strategy and Tips
- The goal is maintain board control early game and kill the opponent before they can recoup in the mid/late game
- Whittle their health down early game so you can finish them off with direct spells like Fireball or Frost Bolt
- Use Primordial Glyph to give yourself more options suitable to the situation you find yourself in
- When calculating lethal damage, do not forget to count your hero power too
- Mulligan aggressively for 1 and 2 drops
- If facing a lot of aggro decks, consider using Cinderstorm (new Witchwood card), in addition to Arcane Missiles
- Use your hero power liberately to remove their 1 health minions and tokens
- You will be the aggressor in this matchup
- Control your opponent with the Kirin Tor Mage + free Secret combo
- Your opponent may cast the Coin to trigger Counterspell before casting their board removal
- Aluneth is your gas in mid/late game
- Be prepare to switch to pure face damage with minions and spells when your opponent's life is low
Key Card Choices
- Aluneth: Your gas for games that goes into mid and late game
- Kirin Tor Mage: Protect your minions or remove theirs with Counterspell and Explosive Runes
- Primordial Glyph: Sacrifices early tempo for mid or late game tempo. It is also flexible by providing options suitable to the current board state
- Archmage Antonidas: Another mid and late game option. Play it when you have a lot of cheap spells to generate free Fireballs
- Pyroblast: You will be using this to end games almost every time
- Vex Crow: A new Witchwood card - great synergy with your cheap spells. You'll be surprised at some of the 2 drops you get!
Save up to 50% off your packs!
Learn how to save money and get more packs when buying Hearthstone packs with Amazon Coins.